What is this?
Honey ginger is an ancient tonic particularly popular in Asian, Indian, and Arabic herbal traditions and cultures whereby honey water is used as a medium for transmitting the benefits of the ginger root to the body. Read below for its many medicinal benefits without all the side-effects of synthetic medicines.
All you would need are:
1 tablespoon of freshly grated/finely chopped ginger
1 tablespoon honey
1 cup of hot water/tea
Ready to go in just a few simple steps:
1. Prepare the grated ginger in a cup and pour hot boiling water/tea.
2. Let it steep for 5-10 minutes and remove the ginger with a strainer.
3. Add honey when the drink has cooled down to some extent.
Many Health Benefits:
The honey and ginger tonic is best known as a remedy for digestive issues. Like a natural herbal antibiotic, the spicy mixture, with its broad-spectrum of inherent antibacterial, antiviral and anti-parasitic properties, volatile oils and phenol compounds, is touted for the following medicinal benefits:
1. Stimulates the body immunity of those with a weak digestion system.
2. Fights toxins, aids in moving food through the stomach and digestive tract.
3. Treats stomach upset, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.
4. Relieve bloating sensation and colic conditions.
As the ginger root is a superb source of antioxidants such as gingerols, zingerones and shogaols, a warm honey ginger drink is also a popular cold regiment for many people who are dealing with common cold and flu symptoms. With a squeeze of fresh lemon juice added, this tangy drink effectively:
1. Soothes scratchy throat.
2. Acts as an excellent expectorant for cough.
3. Helps clear sinuses.
4. Provides good relief from headache, and runny nose.
Other frequently cited benefits of this old school concoction are associated with its effectiveness as a natural pain killer. They are:
1. Reducing inflammation, it alleviates swelling and pain in arthritis case.
2. Alleviating pains from migraines.
3. Relieving discomfort from menstrual cramps.
I love this special tea. It's not just a simple, time-honored recipe to better health, but very delicious too! So, keep on hand in your kitchen some ginger and a jar of honey at all times.
Cooking Tip: Honey and ginger when combined with garlic make a wonderful difference to fish and meats that are stir-fried.