If you think pandan cake can never become spongy without adding white sugar, be pleasantly surprised by this recipe. I've adapted the conventional sponge cake recipe by replacing the sugar with honey, tweaking the amount of flour and oil and adding the green pandan flavouring.
Ingredients you will need:
9-inch round cake tin
Egg Yolk Mixture:
4 egg yolks (at room temperature)
120ml coconut milk
1 tsp pandan paste
2.5 tbs sunflower oil
4 tbs creamed honey (avoid varietals with a strong or overpowering aroma)
140g cake flour
Egg White Mixture:
4 egg whites (at room temperature) 1/8 Cream of Tartar 2 tbs creamed honey
1. Preheat oven to 170 degree C.
2. Mix all the egg yolk ingredients together and blend well.
3. Whisk egg whites with cream of tartar till it doubles in volume and stiff peak forms.
4. Add honey and whisk for a minute to blend.
5. Fold in egg yolk mixture wirh a spatula and mix well.
6. Grease and flour the bottom of the baking tin. (Do not grease the sides.)
7. Pour mixture into the cake tin and bake for 45mins. (Baking on the lower rack would help the cake rise better.)
9. Skewers should come out clean when the cake is baked. Before removing the cake, invert the tin onto rack until completely cool to give the cake a nice height.